Karin Linschoten, Clinical Director, Health and Wellbeing Services
Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers
Part A: Understanding Pre-Migration Context
This workshop will increase your understanding of the pre-migration experiences of refugees. By the end of this workshop, you will:
- demonstrate an understanding of the experiences refugees have before coming to Canada and adaptive behaviors which result from these experiences
- describe the influence of culture and connections to the pre-migration country on the lives of refugee families here in Canada
- recognize role shifts in newcomer families due to the different environments in Canada
- describe strategies on how to increase effective communication and interaction
Part B: Trauma, Learning and Strategies for the Classroom
This workshop will increase your understanding of trauma and its impact on learning. By the end of this workshop you will:
- identify signs of trauma and PTSD in refugee learners and describe its impact on behavior and learning
- describe classroom strategies for one-on-one and group interaction with a learner who has experienced trauma
There will also be an opportunity to ask questions to address specific situations that you might have encountered in your classroom.
To register, email CEIIA@bowvalleycollege.ca
There will be a one hour lunch break from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m.