The following blog post was written by Shelagh Lenon, a faculty member at the Centre for Excellence in Immigrant and Intercultural Advancement.
The Centre for Excellence in Immigrant and Intercultural Advancement (CEIIA) launched the ELL Training Network in the spring. The online network is a place for ELL practitioners to access professional development workshops, webinars, resources, and information to better meet the needs of English language learners.
The ELL Training Network is initially focusing on supporting instructors working with English language learners who are refugees. The CEIIA is leading a two-year project, funded by Calgary Learns, to create professional development workshops to strengthen the teaching skills of ELL practitioners working with adult refugee learners.
We will be offering the following professional development webinars and workshops this fall:
The following webinars are a condensed version of the face-to-face workshops we offered in the spring.
The Arrival Experiences of Refugees
- September 19, 2017 from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- This webinar will raise your awareness of refugee resettlement on a global, national, and local scale. You will learn about refugee pathways to Canada and become familiar with the settlement process in Calgary.
The Influence of Trauma in the Classroom, Part 1
- October 3, 2017 from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- This webinar will increase your understanding of the pre-migration experiences refugees have before coming to Canada and adaptive behaviors which result from these experiences.
The Influence of Trauma in the Classroom, Part 2
- October 17, 2017 from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- This webinar will increase your understanding of trauma and its impact on learning.
Strategies for Teaching Refugees
- November 2, 2107 from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- This webinar will increase your understanding of refugee learners, identify strategies for creating a safe classroom, and describe a variety of effective teaching approaches and activities.
To learn more and to register for the webinars, visit: https://centre.bowvalleycollege.ca/workshops
The following face-to-face workshops are for ELL instructors and volunteer tutors in Calgary.
Teaching ESL Literacy: Skills, Strategies, and Materials
- October 12, 2017 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- In this workshop, you will identify emerging literacy skills to support the development of literacy, describe a variety of teaching strategies, and identify effective materials for the ESL literacy classroom.
Towards Creating a Welcoming Space
- November 8, 2017 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- This workshop will deepen your awareness of culture and its impact on behavior and worldview. You will explore topics such as stereotypes, prejudice and bias, values, and intercultural competence.
Cultivating Inclusion and Belonging
- November 22, 2017 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
- This workshop explores topics such as cultural safety and transition stress to better equip you to cultivate inclusion and belonging in the ELL classroom.
To learn more about the workshops, visit: Fall 2017 Training
If you have questions about this professional development series, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Previous Story Immigration Practitioner Certificate: Raising the Bar, 100%
- Next Story Volunteerism: A Remedy for Culture Shock